The Ketogenic Diet with a Sri Lankan Food.

How to be on a Ketogenic Diet with Sri Lankan Food

 Hello everyone.

For those of you who have read my story, and why I researched and opted for a Ketogenic diet, the one thing that I needed help with was the unavailability of some Keto food and the pricey food available on the Keto food list. So when Keto doctors say "Eat only the food on the list and nothing else", this presented a problem for me.

Why couldn’t we have a Keto diet that worked well for everyone?” I wondered. 

However, there has never been nor can there ever be anything man-made that benefits everyone best. And the Ketogenic diet is no exception.

What was I going to do about it? I couldn’t give up, because in my case it was a medical necessity, not a Fad.  So back to the research board, I went. What could I eat in Ceylon (Sri Lanka) that would keep me in Ketosis… in effect, “A Sri Lankan Ketogenic Diet”?


Sri Lankan Ketogenic Vegetables, and Leaves


As it turns out, quite a lot. And Heavens! What a lot there is. Boy was I in for a treat!

In my article “The Ketogenic Diet and Me” I mentioned, "In Ceylon, we have many dark greens that are native to our country and culture that are not on the Keto list of vegetables.” Well; that was an understatement.

All Sri Lankan vegetables are rich in nutritional properties, though they may not stand up as 100% Keto.  Some vegetables are a little higher in sugar or carbs than I’d like. Still, I have learned to lighten the glycemic load through the method of cooking and the spices I use.


My Keto Vegetable Basket


In Ceylon, we don’t find Asparagus, Artichokes, Bok Choy, Brussels sprouts, and Broccoli but we do have Cabbage, Carrots, Tomatoes, Turnips and Radishes, Bell peppers, Cauliflower, Zucchinis, and Cucumbers.

Along with those, I found… Lady's figures, Eggplant (4 types), Mushrooms (3 types), Butternut squash, Bitter gourd, Snake gourd, Luffa, Banana blossom, Murunga (drumstick tree fruit), and Coconut.

Use any of these in salads, stir-fries, coconut curry, or baked can widen the choice of delicious Keto food on your plate. It did for me.


Leaves

The leaves on the Keto list, we don’t have are the Rocket leaves, salad greens, and Kale. To make up for it however, we have Beet greens (chard), Ceylon Kale (cabbage leaves), lettuce (3 types), spinach (red and green), Kankung (water lettuce), Murunga (drumstick tree) leaves, Kathurumunga (swamp pea) leaves and flowers, Mukunuwenna (Sessile joy weed), onion leaves and flowers (white and red), and Gotu Kola (Indian pennywort).

Others have specific medicinal abilities like Thebu leaves (Cane-reed) which lower blood sugar. These we must be consumed with care and only when needed.

We Sri Lankans combine leaves like the Indian pennywort, swamp peas or onion leaves, and flowers with shredded coconut, onion, and lemon juice to make a salad we call “Mallum”. This would make up 20% of my Sri Lankan Keto plate per meal; 180 grams of meat including fat, and 50% other raw or semi-cooked vegetables.


Herbs, Spices and Condiments

The multicultural herbs on the keto list are Celery, Parsley, Thyme, Oregano, Mint, Rosemary, and Basil. We have all these along with a few Middle Eastern ones.

The ones native to Sri Lanka are Ceylon Cinnamon, Curry leaves, Coriander, Pepper, Cardamom, Clove, Nutmeg, Ginger, Garlic, Turmeric, Mustard seed, Star anise, Mace, Fennel seed, Cumin, Lemon grass and a few more; all of which are Keto.

Combine any of these lovely aromatic spices and herbs with Keto-approved condiments like coconut oil, Butter, Ghee (clarified butter), Sesame oil, or homemade Apple Cider Vinegar to have a very healthy Keto bass or dressing for any dish.


Not Quite Keto

And yes, I have occasional cheat days, just to make life more interesting. For those days, when I feel like I need that French fry or piece of chocolate cake, I have it; or other delicacies that are healthy and nutritious, but not quite Keto.

My cheat day veg basket includes Potato, Sweet potato, Jack fruit, Breadfruit, and Manioc.


Did I ever suffer from the Keto flu? Or did I develop kidney stones or any other negatives that the Keto critics talk about? No, I never did. Not when I did Keto on a very limited Keto food list or when I switched to the Sri Lankan one. The fact is, if you do your research and implement Keto correctly then it works very well.

This was my choice. It’s not for everyone and if you are more critical than open-minded, then I recommend that you pop your pills and live your life; I wish you well. As for me, this wonderful array of food and spice along with the Keto companions of intermittent fasting and prolonged fasting has kept me in Ketosis, pain-free, inflammation-free, and deliciously happy. 

If you to know more about Keto with Sri Lankan food, leave a comment below and I will get back to you with a comment or an article, it's what I do. Until then take care and healthy eating. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Combining Ribbon Embroidery with other Forms of Embroidery

The Ketogenic Diet and Me

Hand Embroidery Tips That Make You an Embroidery Artist.