A Designers World

 

Behind the Scenes at Deonne's World

Let’s face it there are so many brands and Ideas that appear all over the world. Some are world-famous. Others are “one-day wonders”, that pop-up and are gone before you know it. Yet there are some brands that last; not because they are world-famous but because they create something that keeps bringing clients back for more. I am one of these clients.

Today, I decided to sit down with one of my favorite designers and ask her a few questions. I’m going to take you behind the scenes into Deonne’s World and the personality behind the name.

Deonnes’ home base is in Sri Lanka where she lives and works and I happened to discover her brand at one “women in business” coffee mornings in Colombo many years ago.


How did you get into the art of embroidery and design?


My mother and grandmother were the dressmakers and embroiders in my family; known to their clients for “the neatest sewing and embroidery” so I was exposed to sewing and embroidery from a young age.

However, educated I am too!… with a diploma in dressmaking and design; and over twenty years of on-the-job experience.

All this influenced the kind of designer I am today One that creates beautiful pieces that last and are affordable to anyone who wished to own them.


There is a Story that Pushed You in the Direction of Designing Fashion Accessories; Tell me What That Was?


Raw Cotton Medalian
 with Bead and Ribbon Embroidery and Metal Work
.

I was invited to attend a popular event in Colombo, Sri Lanka and I spent an awful lot of time searching for a clutch to match a certain pair of silver heels... Sri Lanka is not known for its variety of colors and fashion. They have a “one-size-fits-all” policy and you either take it or leave it.

Unable to find the shade I needed I was forced to purchase a clutch that didn’t complement my shoes and I spent most of the evening hiding it in embarrassment.

That’s when I decided to start the Deonne D. line of evening and day bags. And my very first commission… A silver bag, to match my silver shoes!


Is There Part of Your Life as a Designer that You Would Like to Highlight?


One contented client once told me; “every once in a while you find a hidden gem that stays with you, and you my dear, are one of these.” that comment made my day and has kept me going through the past few years.

My brand, the Deonne D. brand; is unknown to the world, yet popular with some mainly because as a designer and teacher, I am known for quality, one-of-a-kind pieces that you would not own unless you’ve come across me in my home country or in one or two other places in the world.

Am I world-famous? No. But only because what I wanted, was to make beautiful pieces that my customers cherish. Have I achieved that? I’d say, yes. I am referred to as; “a hidden gem” after all.


Where Can People Find Your Designs?”


I live and work in Sri Lanka and my main access to customers is through booths at makers' fairs, coffee mornings, and conventions; and through word of mouth.

Most of my pieces are commissioned by recurring customers who took a chance on me and liked what they received. Now, when my clients want a specific theme, color, or pattern they get in touch with me and I take on the commission.

Customers can contact me through email or WhatsApp and view my designs at Deonne’s world on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook.


Refurbished Pouch with Ribbon Embroidered Pocket.
The Deonne D. Brand; What Does it Include?


When I first started, I concentrated on the embroidered evening and day handbags of my own designs and I did a lot of commissioned pieces for clients looking for specific shapes, sizes, colors, or embroidery patterns.

Today, I have expanded it to include fabric jewelry as well as evening and day handbags; using combinations of techniques in Embroidery, Soutache, Acrylic painting, and paint pouring.

The materials are mostly natural, raw cotton and silks, and I will even recycle or upcycle materials at a customer's request.

In essence, Deonne D. is a line of wearable art.


Your newest venture… Deonne’s World also offers Embroidery lessons.


Many are finding an outlet for stress through embroidery. So, I was approached by clients and friends wishing to learn, and in January 2023, I started my first embroidery lessons for anyone wishing to learn the art. It’s had a good response so far.


Will You Be Giving Up Designing and Going into Teaching Full-time?


Not likely. Commissioned pieces and fair booths are still my favorite productions.

Designing and working on full pieces involves a variety of aspects of the production process; from pattern-making to assembling and finishing a piece. and because I love the process I still take on quite a lot of commissioned work.

Although I must say, teaching has its positives. I do have some pretty diligent students who produce some delightful assignments. 


All in all, through experience I know that Deonne's World is truly a hidden gem. During and since the lockdowns Deonne has opened up her world to include embroidered table linen on commission too. We wish her well as she forges ahead in all endeavors. 

Deonne's world is currently taking on new clients and can be contacted through Email or WhatsApp; Pinterest messages, Instagram or Facebook Messenger.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Combining Ribbon Embroidery with other Forms of Embroidery

The Ketogenic Diet and Me

Hand Embroidery Tips That Make You an Embroidery Artist.